Trailer owner’s checklist
Selling or renting to MCS tenants
Placing a listing on our site is FREE to both private trailer owners and real estate agents. To place a listing, please email us with all pertinent information requested below, including up to eight (8) photos. Text should be typed in upper and lower case; ALL CAPS text will be returned. If you do not know the answer to a question or it does not apply to your trailer, please note “n/a” in the space provided. Thank you!
The issues your MCS renter/buyer will be concerned about include:
- chemical safety of building materials
- household/personal care products used in trailer (and on property, if applicable)
- electromagnetic fields in trailer
- interior mold levels
- specific MCS triggers and/or allergies such as:
- pets and homestead animals that have lived in trailer
- woods used (typically, pine, cedar, and others containing terpenes)
- any hidden problems that might hurt them later on
Please specify the following details about your trailer’s construction. The few minutes you take now to detail the below in writing will save you countless hours in questions from prospective MCS buyers/renters.
- Trailer for sale or rent?:
- Current location (city, state, zip code required):
- # Bedrooms:
- Bathroom facilities (please specify toilet/sink/shower etc.):
- Washer/dryer on site?:
- Square footage:
- Lot size (in acres):
- Purchase price/Monthly rent:
- Date available:
- Basic description:
- Contact information:
Building Materials/Indoor Air Quality
- Year built/renovated:
- Original construction, or gutted and renovated to MCS specifications:
- Wall materials (e.g., porcelain over steel, metal, wood):
- Insulation materials:
- Wood detailing (e.g., door/window trim, cabinetry, etc.), include wood type:
- Wood sealants used:
- Flooring materials including sealants and other finishes:
- Past repairs to trailer:
- Current repairs needed (e.g., new hot water heater, new plumbing, etc.)
- Heating system (e.g., electric baseboard heater, propane tank, etc.):
- Cooling system (e.g., A/C unit, ventilation, etc.)
- Have the heating and cooling systems been used consistently?
- Have the heating and cooling systems been cleaned and maintained properly, even if not in use for long periods of time?
- Does the trailer have all appropriate hookups for septic, water, electrical – please specify.
- What exactly is required to operate the plumbing, electric, and sewage in the trailer?
- What cooking/food storage facilities are provided for (e.g., hotplate, oven, sink, counter, refrigerator, freezer)?
- Bed frame/mattress provided? Please specify size, type (e.g. Murphy bed, trundle bed, etc.).
- Is there an eating and/or desk or work area?
- T.V. and/or computer box vented to outside?
- Other special features
- Are there any known EMF issues with the trailer?
- Is the electrical wiring shielded?
- Is there a grounding rod?
- Have others with electromagnetic sensitivities healed in this trailer?
- Have others with electromagnetic sensitivities done poorly in this trailer?
- Is there a history of water damage of any kind?
- Have there ever been roof, skylight, window, or plumbing leaks, and if so, how were they repaired and how soon after the leaks were they repaired?
- Was mold remediation ever completed in the trailer?
- To the best of your knowledge, is there currently high levels of mold or existence of allergenic, pathogenic, or toxigenic molds in your trailer?
- Pets that have lived in the trailer, including with former owners:
- Known vermin infestations (e.g. presence of rat or mice feces, etc.):
- Where is the trailer located for pick up?
- If you have MCS, do you tolerate the trailer yourself?
- How long have you owned the trailer, and in that time how long have you lived in the trailer?
- Has the trailer been continuously occupied? If not, how long has it been empty and where has it been stored?
- Why are you selling the trailer?
- Have pesticides/insecticides/termicides/flea bombs/mothballs/bug sprays ever been used inside or on the exterior of the trailer? If so, what and when?
- Has a pet that was treated with Frontline, wore a flea collar, or had other pesticides applied to it ever lived or entered the trailer?
- How much does the trailer weigh?
- What is the length and width of the trailer both on the outside, and the inside?
- Does it meet maximum height limitations?
- Does it require special permission to be transported on highways?
- What type of hitch does the trailer have?
- What type of truck is required to pull it (e.g., 1/2 ton, ¾ ton, etc.).
- Are you selling the truck as well?
- If not, do you know anyone in the area who can transport the trailer for me?
Due to the nature of the illness, potential MCS buyers/renters will need to stay in a trailer overnight, or for an extended period, before committing to a purchase or long-term lease. Doing so puts the trailer owner at risk for potential contamination of the space. Are you willing to do this?
- Potential buyer/renter can stay overnight in trailer for up to [INSERT #] days/weeks/months before committing to purchase/lease at a fee of $[INSERT DOLLAR AMOUNT]/night/week/month.
- Please list all allowed and forbidden personal care products, bedding materials, laundry products, etc.:
- Please detail trailer rules (e.g., must take shower immediately after returning from shopping and other exposures, must remove shoes before entering trailer, etc.):
Please cut and paste the above with your answers and up to eight (8) photos, and send in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to have your trailer listed on our site.
Please note: Ads will remain on our site for six (6) months unless we are notified in writing to remove the ad prior to that time. If you would like to extend the ad listing past six (6) months, please notify us in writing.
Thank you for using our service!