Country cottage for rent on North Kitsap Peninsula, WA ~ $1500
Poulsbo, WA 98370 Lovely country cottage on 2.5 organic acres for rent ~ $1500/month
Description: Lovely, country cottage, built in 1999, and 2.5 acres, quiet, secure, Olympic mountain view. Very clean. No dust. 2 Bedroom + office, 1.5 bathrooms/house for people suffering from MOLD and MCS (MULTIPLE CHEMICAL SENSITIVITIES). Owner with MCS lives in adjoining studio apartment. Hardwood floors throughout, electric furnace, air-conditioning, separate electric meter. Meter does not attach to living section of house. 20 minutes from Kingston/Edmonds ferry, 30 minutes to Bainbridge Island ferry, 2.7 miles to Poulsbo, Washington and organic produce and naturopathic physicians. Surrounded by acreages with llamas, horses, Christmas tree farms. Organic soil, great for gardening. On flat top of hill with good air movement. Perfect for anyone with allergies- no car exhaust, no smoking, owner uses no perfumes, plug-ins, dryer sheets or fragrances of any kind. 6 month lease, first-last month and damage deposit. $1500/month. Welcome to try it first at $60/night. Good MCS COMMUNITY on Peninsula. Call (360) 697-6168 with any questions.
Square footage: 1,700
Lot size: 2.5 acres
Date available: immediately
Price: $1500 – will sell half ownership in property at later date if interested.
Contact info: Joan Walz (360) 697-6168
Building Materials/Indoor Air Quality
Year built: 1999
Construction: Standard construction.
Passive solar design features: Good south exposure – on sunny flat top of a hill.
Moisture barrier installed over the slab: Yes.
Exterior building materials: Wood.
Roofing materials: Asphalt shingles.
Insulation materials: Unknown.
Are the walls foiled?: No. You can seal whatever you want to.
Wood detailing: Unknown, but no scents.
Wood sealants used: Unknown, but no scents.
Flooring: All hardwood floors.
HVAC: Electric furnace; filters changed regularly.
Whole house air filter: No.
Whole house vacuum: No.
Dates of past repairs/renovations: No VOCs – owner is extremely reactive.
Utilities and Major Appliances
Heating system: Electric furnace.
Cooling system: Air conditioner.
Appliances: All electric.
Unshielded electrical wiring: n/a
Dimmers and 3-way switches: n/a
Power lines: Underground power lines.
Neighbors with WiFi: There are no close neighbors.
WiMax installed or planned for area in near future: No.
Smart Meter on site or planned in near future: Meter does not attach to living portion of the house.
Cell/microwave towers nearby and/or planned for near future: Nearest cell tower is 2 miles south.
Other wireless technology being used nearby or planned for near future: No.
Located under an airport flight path: No.
Have others with electromagnetic sensitivities healed in this house? n/a
Have others with electromagnetic sensitivities done poorly in this house? No.
Is the property graded, are French drains, swales or other features used to wick away rainwater? Yes.
Are there plantings or berms around the perimeter of the home? No.
On-slab foundation, crawlspace or basement? Crawl space.
Exhaust fans in bathrooms, kitchen, and other high-humidity locations? Yes.
Whole house dehumidifier? No.
Other mold-reducing features: High and dry, good air movement.
Is there a history of water damage of any kind? No.
Have there ever been roof or plumbing leaks? No.
Was mold remediation ever completed in your home? No.
To the best of your knowledge, is there currently high levels of mold or existence of allergenic, pathogenic, or toxigenic molds in the home? No.
Pets that have lived in the house: None.
Known vermin infestations: None.
Homestead animals: None.
Local flora that might be a problem (e.g., juniper, pine, cedar, etc.) and worst times of year for pollen counts: None.
Other potential toxic exposures
Were pesticides ever used in the house, or outside the house and around the property, by you or by former owners? Never any pesticides used. I have lived here 8 years, and there was only one previous owner, who was organic.
Has a pet that was treated with Frontline, wore a flea collar, or had other pesticides applied to it ever lived or entered the home? No.
Has the home site been checked for radon and other potentially hazardous elements? No.
Is the house currently fragrance free, and has it always been? Yes. Owner has acute MCS – never any fragrances.
Is the house currently smoke free, and has it always been? Always smoke-free.
Has the house or any neighbors’ homes in a three block radius ever been used as a methamphetamine (“meth”) lab? No.
Has ozone every been used in the home to try to remove odors/chemicals/mold? No.
Garage: Attached garage, but never used as a garage.
Do you or your MCS partner tolerate the home yourself? Extremely well.
How long have you lived in the home? 8 years.
May I talk to a former tenant to see how they felt about living in the house? Yes.
Why are you renting the home? I’ve had MCS for 30 years – I have run out of money.
Are the neighbors MCS aware/compassionate/friendly and will they heed MCS safe requests with minimal resistance? I am buffered on all sides. It took me 10 solid years to find this property.
Due to the nature of the illness, potential MCS buyers/renters will need to stay in a home overnight, or for an extended period, before committing to a purchase or long-term lease. Doing so puts the homeowner at risk for potential contamination of the space. Are you willing to do this? Yes.
Potential MCS renter can stay overnight for a total of 1 month at $60/night.
Allowed personal care products, bedding materials, laundry products, etc.: No mold, scents, dust mites. No natural fragrances (e.g., tee-tree oil, passionflower, etc.)
House rules: Must take shower immediately after returning from any exposures, must remove shoes before entering home, etc. Turn on fans when cooking to air cooking scents outside. Your visitors must honor the MCS fragrance-free, non- smoking, etc. code.