EcoTech Living Sanctuary test unit up and running

Living Sanctuary by EcoTECH

Douglas Busch, founder and CEO of ecoTECH, has just shared with us that their Living Sanctuary test unit for environmentally sensitive clients is now up and running in Quakertown, Pennsylvania. The unit was tested yesterday and he reports that “the results came out better than we could have hoped for, showing 1 part per billion VOC and minimal EMFs (100 times less than outside). We have done VOC cylinder and aldehyde collection, EMF testing and now off to labs for analysis to keep it 3rd party.” They are now expecting the first overnight visitors to test the prototype. We will continue to share updates as we receive them. Above is a photo of the built unit. To schedule a site visit, please contact EcoTECH directly.

See also: Safer Housing Prototype | EcoTech Update

Be Sociable, Share!
posted September 29, 2011

Community Feedback

• Bluebird52

September 29, 2011 at 11:16 am

These are so exciting, I want one!! Why is it on stilts, though? Is that part of the design, or just specific to the test unit? I don’t do stairs very easily.

Also, the windows seem a little small. Why is this?

• Naima

September 29, 2011 at 1:03 pm

I have not been able to see how much these would cost or the specifications and sizes offered. Right now I am ready to buy one! My landlady just installed vinyl flooring and I’m sick! It’s recycled (cheap at Home Depot) Allure TrafficMaster and it’s made in China of recycled plastic, with phthalales. I’m feeling desperate.

• Julie Genser

September 29, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Everything that we know about the units has been published in the article above and 2 links at the bottom of the article (previous articles we have run about the units). If you have questions not answered in those articles, please contact EcoTECH directly via their website. The link is provided in the articles. Good luck!!

• DjangoZ

October 4, 2011 at 9:15 pm

I heard back from EcoTech, they said the cost is approximately $150 per sq ft and the test unit is 380 sq ft. So the cost for this test unit would be ~$57,000. Sounds like they will have different configurations and price points in the future, but at least this gives us an idea.

However, that doesn’t include land costs, or site prep or any of that sort of thing. Still, if it really is extremely low toxic materials this could be an amazing leap forward for so many of us.

Can’t wait to hear back from people who have tried it out (unfiltered please: we need to hear the good and the bad).

And incredible thanks to EcoTECH for taking on a project this daunting. My partner and I are waiting anxiously for the results, but have already started brainstorming on locations and land options.

• Paul M

October 17, 2011 at 9:33 am

I visited this house September 27, 2011 during final testing with Douglas Busch and Larry Gust. I took notes directly as they spoke to me; so I will attempt to post accurate information here.
    Regarding Bluebird52s comments:
    Foundation: The house can be placed on any type of foundation. Douglas Busch told me one reason the test unit is on concrete piers is to elevate it a minimum of 5 feet off the ground, to keep mold at bay.
    Wheelchair access: If you have a hilly lot, putting a house on “stilts” actually makes it easier to have a no-stair access because you can put the front entry at whatever height you wish. Seems to me a demonstration unit should be accessible for all. Contact technical person Debbie Campbell at Ecotech Design Studio (debbie@phliving.us or 310.457.5477) to let them know you want a ramp.
    Small windows: The unit is extremely open and airy, but the big glass area is on the other side. The clearstory windows in this view provide light while still providing privacy and allowing furniture placement below. Also, windows that high may not require curtains. In the “one-sheet” document, you can see the big sliding glass door and picture window on the other sides. http://reshelter.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/One-sheet-with-materials-components-v2-1.pdf

• Karen Scribner

November 25, 2011 at 10:03 am

Why did Naima let the landlady install new flooring? If the floor is damaged now, take up the old and coat the subfloor with a safe sealant. If it can wait, COMMUNICATE: she can do the new vinyl after you move out. I am environmentally sensitive too but communication and clear thinking is needed. Find someone to help you who can do this.